Bus transportation is available to all students attending Fonda-Fultonville. Late buses are provided on Tuesday and Thursday for those students who stay after school for activities.
Bus stops are designated by the school district. In the villages, students will be picked up at group stops. Students will be picked up at the end of the road for any stop on a dead end road that is less than a half mile from the end of the road.
At Fonda-Fultonville, we look at the transportation of your child as an important job and one that focuses on safety. Rules and regulations, extensive driver training and meticulous vehicle maintenance are all of the things that demonstrate safety as an unquestionable first priority. Our fleet of approximately 31 buses travels about 200,000 miles per year in a district that covers about 130 square miles. Our buses are contracted through private contractors.
Our purpose is to provide each child a safe ride. With this goal in mind, our bus contractors, Brown Transportation and CMF Transportation, have enjoyed superb safety records. We appreciate their efforts and dedication to the safe transportation of our students.
School Bus Discipline Policy
- First Offense: Warning, notice sent to parents, needs to be signed and returned to the school administrator.
- Second Offense: Bus riding privileges will be removed for a period of one day for grades K-4 and two days for grades 5-12.
- Third Offense: Bus riding privileges will be removed for a period of three days for grades K-4 and five days for grades 5-12. A conference with the building administrator, parents, bus driver and student(s) will be held.
- Fourth Offense: Bus riding privileges will be removed for the rest of the school year.
Detention and Sports Runs Discipline Policy
- First Offense: Warning, notice sent to parents and phone call made.
- Second Offense: Bus riding privileges will be removed for the rest of the year.
Safety Tips for Parents & Students
- Students must cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- Never cross behind the bus.
- When exiting the bus, students are to move away from the bus. They should not go to the mailbox or anywhere else by the side of the bus.
- Students should look left-right-left before crossing the road.
- Instruct your child that if they drop something outside of the bus to leave it where it falls. They should only attempt to retrieve the object with the driver or another adult’s supervision, when the bus has gone and the road is clear.
- Children should wait a safe distance away from the road.
- Make sure your child is ready five minutes before the scheduled pick up time.
- If your child must ride a different bus to another location than your child’s normal bus stop, you are required to write a note indicating the destination. Make sure to include the “9-11” street address so the driver knows the exact location of the drop-off. The note must be turned into the office to generate a bus pass. No student will be able to ride another bus without a bus pass.
- Please be home or arrange for someone to be home at the time your child is normally dropped off.
Please review the Code of Conduct with your child. It helps when parents reinforce the rules and regulations set forth by the district.
- Please avoid letting your child bring large objects on the bus.
- Please avoid letting your child bring objects of value on the bus. Understand that items are easily lost.
- Please understand that seating charts and bus discipline are the responsibility of the driver.
- Be aware of school buses on the road and make sure to stop a safe distance from the bus when it is displaying flashing red lights.
- Please use caution when driving on school grounds.
- Please do not pick your child up directly off of the bus at school. You need to sign them out in the office.
Riding the bus is a privilege. Anyone who does not conduct himself/herself properly will be denied the privilege of riding the bus. Students are expected to adhere to the rules and regulations set forth by the school district as follows…
- Students are always expected to obey the driver and respond promptly to the driver’s instructions.
- Students should be in the assigned seat designated by the driver.
- Students should remain seated until the bus arrives at their stop and when the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Students should keep their hands to themselves and respect other students and their property.
- Hitting and fighting on the bus will not be tolerated.
- Students should avoid yelling and screaming and should keep their voice to an appropriate volume.
- Students should avoid using inappropriate language.
- Eating food and drinking beverages is not allowed on the bus.
- Students are expected to keep the bus clean.
- Smoking, chewing tobacco and consuming alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the bus.
- Students are expected to be on time when the bus comes.
- If it is necessary that a student cross the street to board the bus, the student shall wait for a signal from the driver to cross, after the bus comes to a complete stop. The student should make sure to cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- Students should not extend any part of their bodies out of the window.
- Students must not open or tamper with any of the emergency exits.
- Student should not tamper with any bus equipment. Any damaged equipment, including seats, may have to be paid for by the student.
- Students will need to provide a bus pass when getting off at a stop other than their own. They must have a parent or guardian write a note, and then obtain a pass from the office.
Any pupil who violates school rules and regulations while riding the bus will be subject to bus suspension.
- Do not exit the back of the bus unless directed by the driver.
- Exercise good behavior at the bus stop. The bus stop is an extension of the bus and the same rules apply.
- The school will adhere to the Code of Conduct and discipline policy set forth.
- The school will conduct drills on school buses three times throughout the school year.
- The driver will maintain order on the bus and be in charge of discipline.
- The driver will assign seats and generate a seating chart. Students will sit in assigned seat until reassigned by driver.
- The driver will maintain the bus and keep it clean.
- The driver will instruct and be in charge of conducting bus drills.
- The driver will use his or her discretion for impassible roads caused by inclement weather.
- If it looks like no one is home, the driver will ask student to remain on bus. The home will then be called.