TEDxYouth events are independently organized and designed to empower and inspire young people. Fonda-Fultonville High School seniors Adam DeSorbo and Nicholas Demitraszek took the initiative to organize one in its entirety at the high school on May 23.
They rented headquarters in Amsterdam, coordinated event logistics, selected and invited guest speakers, and lined up videographers who donated their time and services for the event.
“After viewing TED Talks and seeing how powerful they are, we decided that it would be something unique to bring to our small town to inspire and inform our peers,” co-organizer Nicholas Demitraszek said.
Guest speakers included:
- Capital Region Special Olympics athlete and ambassador Sarah Hoffman, who spreads messages of inclusion.
- Mayfield High School senior Anna King, who had a heart transplant in 2014, will speak about organ donation and the power of optimism.
- Andrew Senese, an international intern with a program called Imagine Scholar that is based in South Africa.
- FFCS Superintendent Thomas Ciaccio, who talked about how the way people think can affect their attitude and whether people succeed or fail.
- FFCS Band Director Chad Lenig, whose presentation was about how drumming can be a form of communication.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today’s leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED’s annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Monica Lewinsky, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.